Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Cape Town, My New Happy Place


Man oh man, I do not know where to even start! I want to use every positive adjective in my vocabulary.

I suppose I should put in a brief word in on the twists and turns it took to get there. Originally, we had purchased plane tickets, but discovered a few weeks before that the company went under and no, the new company's flights would not be up and running by the holiday season like the website had proclaimed to hope. Thus we spent countless hours utilizing every bit of our resourceful PCV man power to sort out this vacation. We joked that we would have given up, but we felt our desire for sushi, nightlife, and the ocean might kill us if we didn't get after so much anticipation. 

Oh boy were we unaware of how many more amazing, awesome, astonishing (and those are just the a's) aspects of Cape Town that were to come. Now that's not to say the Mother City didn't present us with some challenges; from police corruption to a frightening mugging, she gave us her fair share of unfortunate incidents. It didn't matter; this was still one of the best trips I have ever taken and quite possibly my favorite city I've ever visited.

I mean, what kind of place has two oceans, vineyards, and a mountain within half an hour? Oh, and craft beer, tons of fun neighborhoods, excellent customer service, super friendly and helpful residents, food from all over the world, artisan markets, nightlife that rages until dawn but you can wear flipflops out and fit in, and people are just so laid back and cool? What is this magical place?! Feeling like my heart was about 10 feet above my chest I'm so happy should have come as no surprise. 

I realize that I am coming from a bit of an unusual place; after living in the bush for 9 months, any city might look spectacular to me after a real shower has rinsed the dust off my face. But no matter the place I'm coming from, this was still an incredible trip that will stand as a highlight of my two years on this continent (and I do think that Cape Town really is this awesome).


Enjoying a little theater

                                  
Sampling some tasty craft beer and food at the Old Biscuit Mill Market

Mexican Food, nom
Indian Ocean!


Kind of a big deal. 

Thoroughly enjoying ourselves while wine tasting

Having a perfect last day atop Table Mountain
Sunset towards Cape Point, from Table Mountain


No comments:

Post a Comment